Natural gas is blended with Mercaptan, which makes Natural Gas vapors smell like rotten eggs. If you detect a gas leak (rotten eggs), leave the building as quickly as possible and make sure all others go with you.
Gather all children and Inform all occupants to exit the home as quickly as possible. If possible, tell them not to touch anything electrical on their way out. If you are exiting through a door or window, leave them open if possible.
DO NOT start a car, turn on or off any appliances or lights or use a telephone until you are at least one block or 100 meters away from the building.
After you are a safe distance away, call 9-1-1. You can then call your natural gas utility company to report the address of the possible gas leak.
YES, gas leaks pose two significant risks. First, the flammability of natural gas and propane means that when they accumulate and encounter an ignition source, like a phone, light switch, electrical appliance or pilot light, fires or explosions will result.
Secondly, gas leaks can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning with symptoms such as headaches, nausea and confusion. In severe cases, loss of consciousness or even death. It's essential to take gas leaks seriously and address them promptly to prevent injury or death.
Due to its lighter-than-air composition, natural gas will remain airborne within a room. This means that, in the presence of a gas leak, natural gas tends to rise and disperse throughout the space rather than settling at lower levels. This quality emphasizes the importance of awareness and prompt action when dealing with potential gas leaks.
If you suspect (smell) a gas leak, immediately exit the building or the area and call 9-1-1 first, then your gas utility company for a professional inspection.
Yes, outdoor gas leaks are extremely dangerous if not addressed. They should be treated the same as an indoor leak.
No, it won't. Due to its low odor detection threshold, natural gas is detected well before reaching high concentrations. Activating the fire alarm does not contribute to the existing fire risk posed by static electricity, electrical systems, and mechanical equipment in the building.