Follow these best practices if you use natural gas or propane for home heating furnaces, water heaters, and stove or BBQ cooking.
- Identify shutoff valve locations in your home.
- Annual maintenance on your gas appliances by a (certified gas fitter) is highly recommended.
- Take time to have a fire drill with your family and explain natural gas safety ie: smell to the whole family and practice what to do if you smell rotten eggs.
- Have a gas company representative out to give you a tour of your gas system.
- Schedule regular appliance and system inspections with your service provider.
- Keep indoor gas lines and meters clear.
- Learn correct operation of natural gas appliances.
- Maintain a CO detector if you have natural gas.